7/29/10

Robyn Returns

When I was in elementary school I had a repertoire, if you will, of female country & pop songs I liked to sing in the shower, or in my backyard when no one else was around ( I liked to sing loud but was rather shy ). These songs included:

1) "Always Be My Baby" - Mariah Carey
2) "(Let's Give 'Em) Something To Talk About" - Bonnie Raitt
3) Anything off the album "Read My Mind" by Reba McEntire
and, one of my personal favorites

4) "Show Me Love" - Robyn
(You can click 'Play' on this song now)


I loved this song. I'm listening to it right now. I think I still do. (That break at 2:22?! Nails it.)
Except I always thought she was saying, "Always been told I got too much to write," only JUST NOW realized she was saying "too much pride".

But I never heard about Robyn again after this song, which always sorta bummed me out.

I started hearing about some up-and-coming popular person also named Robyn back in January and thought, nah... couldn't be.

But just yesterday, after getting halfway through Sasha Frere-Jones' New Yorker profile on the singer, I decided I would check out this new "Robyn", a potential name-stealer, and see if she was any good.



So I check out this video, fine, whatever, it's fine. But I read in the YouTube comments:

Jax1108 : Why the hell does EVERYONE compare Lady Gaga to EVERy artist?! Its so ignorant. People try too hard no a days to be a non-conformist! Robyn was around WAY before Lady Gaga. And guess what, its possible to like both!

WHAAAT?!? So this Robyn is one and the same. Crazy.

(By the way, today I learned that if I had simply finished SFJ's article I would've discovered this for myself. It was only a few more paragraphs down).
Crazy to me at least, I guess everyone else was shocked by her reemergence months and months ago.
I'm always slow to catch up on the pop circuit.

1 comment:

  1. Holy crap, I had no idea. I used to listen that song too! Maybe I should have realized I was gay a lot earlier...

    ReplyDelete